Sunday, March 09, 2008

Swami Vivekananda Part 1

Currently, I am reading a book from Swami Vivekananda. I am always interested in discussing and thinking about religion as whole and Hindu religion in particular.
The work of Swami Vivekananda makes you think. I hardly read 20 pages and got into a lot of thinking. I grew up reading in RamKrishna Mission libraries which has left an impression on me, and things which you pick up in childhood are really difficult to un-pick.
That said there are a lot of things with which I don't agree with. And then there are things which I agree with, but the manner in which he speaks, I WANT to refute.
He says, "Verification is the perfect proof of a theory." This is exactly the thing I am taught to challenge in Science. If I can give 100 examples of some theory working, it doesn't make it right. Proof by example doesn't work - refute by example does. However, I agree that verification is the ONLY tool currently available for proof.

So much for now, I need more coherent thoughts on this one. Will continue later.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

Friend: You said you have grown up in Ramakrishna Mission Libraries.

You might have read the Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda.

You may like to see a different line of thought:
150 posts on Swami Vivekananda - a different perspective

March 09, 2008 8:28 PM  
Blogger Abhigyan said...

Hi Multisubj,
somehow I missed this comment. I don't claim to be an expert of the topic and the link you have provided has really a great deal of information in it. Thanks for giving it to me.

April 22, 2008 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home