Tuesday, November 01, 2005

the boy

My thoughts came to sudden halt as his scooter hit another. I was looking at the accident as if I have magically arrived there and it was someone else who was involved in the accident.
Within seconds, a traffic cop arrived. I, with old cloths, unshaven and in his youth was an ideal person to be blamed for the accident. But my thoughts were somewhere else. He answered the questions mechanically,
“What is your name?”
“Vivek”
“What do you do?”
“I am a student.”
“Where do you study?”
“The college for Science and Enginnering”
“Show me the papers and license”
I obliged, I could feel that the cop now is not as harsh as he was in the starting. I tried to guess the reason but was unable to understand.
The cop was examined the papers and then sent the other man with a saying that no real damage is done and then turned to me.
Come on, ask for money – I thought but he said something else.
“Would you teach my son?”
I was completely taken aback. Here I was, thinking how desperately and an opportunity came. I said “But I will take money”.
The cop said most certainly. And it was all fixed. I had to go to teach for 6 days a week and he would receive Rs.1000/- p.m. for that.
The day I entered the home, I understood why this man was ready for anything to have his son taught. He had a reputation for being nasty (actually nasty was a compliment for his behavior). The boy was loud, vociferous and very demanding; in contrast I was tacit and very shy. The only thing which made me stay was the need for money.
I understood that the boy had brains, if only he could steer it towards constructive work rather than destructive ones, he will make a very fine boy.
The first day finished and I was invited for a tea. After the tea I found my tyres inflated. The next day, he fooled one child into believing that goat can actually talk, did a remarkably good acting of fainting while I was trying to teach him. He made a splendid story of how I was ill treated by my own teachers and how I resolved to do the same to avenge. Then when I asked him to draw a picture, he drew a person being hanged.
I laughed aloud when I saw the picture. Of all the reactions he expected, this was not even his wildest dream (neither in mine) so for the first time he was looking at me curiously. I challenged him, “come on! You can do better than that, lets make a few pictures so that we may watch a person being hanged and enjoy.” He was speechless, so I took the charge and drew the pictures and kept them in such order that if one flips the page, he will see a man being hanged. He was delighted. He ran around to show it to every body he knew. I let him do that

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home